March 18, 2007

Episode 2: Body Marks


Bilha Smith, is a 65 year old woman, who is about to get her first tattoo. She say’s, “At the age of 60, I didn’t like my body very much, but now I’ve come though that. I’ve finally accepted my body for what it is …my son is doing well, and I felt I wanted to celebrate.”

Every change she feels in her life, she wants to mark, it. And she does, either with a performance piece, (she is an artist) and usually with ideas revolving around her body. “I’ve celebrated different things in different ways over the years, but this time I wanted to celebrate it on my skin.” She has decided to get the tattoo, on a part of her body, which is likely to wrinkle the least, her inside wrist.

Bilha is getting an image of a Nautilus. This is basically an image of an ever expanding spiral. It symbolizes expansion and the growth of things. The image symbolizes, not only her acceptance of her own body, and its limitations, but of her own self-knowledge. It celebrates her personal journey. Bilha see’s getting this tattoo, as a rite of passage. “Rites of passage never cease, not until we are dead.”

Contact us on beyondbabes@gmail.com

2 comments:

spotted dog - Bronwyn said...

Hey What a great photo on the beach. Darwin Forever!
This is a great site. Enjoy your trip down the track.
Look forward to seeing more additions as you go.

Licks, wags and smelly dotty fur from
Hot Chips
Cocoa Donut
Argy Bargee (Barty Boy)
&
Bronwyn - The Swamp

And posting meant joining up for my own bloggSpot - sort of became an ACCIDENTAL blogger - see
http://knockalong.blogspot.com/

Stretch Marks said...

Most women worry about stretch marks after they have their baby. Fortunately most stretch marks do fade with time. Usually after 12 moths postpartum most stretch marks are light and less noticeable.